Find me on facebook

Friday, April 30, 2010

Entry to WOW

I have entered the piece I have been working on into the WOW Awards. This is huge for me and I would love to post the pics of the finished item but I don't think I'm allowed as the internet is probably classed as media.
Let me just describe the shoot and if I am able to show any images later I will.
We walked all the pieces down into the bush to get to a local waterfall. The hat is covered with stretched silk hankies and of course got stuck on any and everything. The wings and antennae were long and also got caught around many trees and bushes. Finally we arrive at the spot and my gorgeous model garbs up. I show her where I want her to be and deftly, managing not to get the gown and wings dirty, she clambers into position. I bring up the enormous hat and place it on her head. AHHHHH. She looks amazing.
There is some sort of magic with these pieces, this wearable art. It is like the work knows it is to be worn and does not reveal it's wonder till all the components come together. There is no other word to describe it but magic.
I hop down to the camera. I have one and also my 17 yr old (studying photography) has one and we begin to take photos. As I hold the camera up to my eye the magic is complete! The frame transports the work. The eco colours dyed from the bush and now photographed in the bush are perfect together. She just belongs there.
The wings move and change the look of the moth. She is the moth.

This piece has been the most all consuming this I have worked on yet. I can't bear to add up the hours, materials and toll on everyone I know, but here's hoping it's worth it.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Pam just your description is making me really want to see the whole piece, cant wait till you can show some pics and wishing you much good luck :))
Karen

Joei Rhode Island said...

Can't wait to see....Wish I live in NZ so I could go. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Yvonne said...

Congratulations on completing your vision - I imagine that the heart and effort that has taken must have transformed you, right along with the fibre to moth! I can't wait to see it and I love how you describe it.

Ginga Squid said...

Sounds AMAZING! Can't wait to see pics.
Good luck with WOW!

Pam de Groot said...

Thanks Guys. Yes it is a bit changing. I have learnt some new things to try in my other work too.

Denise Vitola said...

It sounds wonderful, Pam! I can't wait until you win and then you can show us! Denny

Leisurely Lesley said...

I wish you luck - can't wait to see it, but I guess I'll have to.

Village Books said...

Gorgeous stuff! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

oh wow, I am so happy for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails