Find me on facebook
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Still not finished. I'm knackered. After rolling till my arms nearly dropped off and my forearms were red raw yesterday I had to give up but went back to it this morning. The first photos show the wool and silk all laid out and wet down before the felting began. The next photo shows the hat pretty well shrunk with the template held up behind to show how much. I'm guessing it has shrunk by 40 to 50%. I think I had about 9 or 10 layers in this hat. I wanted it to have more integral strength than the last big hat I did which relies on stiffening product to keep it's shape.
The fibre I used for most of the layers is a mystery roving someone gave me in a clean out. It was not too coarse but had alot of loft so I thought it may be good for something sculptural. I used merino for the final 3 layers with silk top and fine spun wool.
Next step is to shape and dry it. I will still have to stiffen it but I hope it will mostly hold it's own shape. I will be putting more loose silk around the cocoon after it is dry.
Then onto the moth!